The Shaw Island Free Bench Guidelines
The Free Bench is a Shaw Island tradition that has been around since the late 1950’s. It’s a place where people can drop off gently used and helpful items and others can pick them up for free! It’s that simple. To keep it fun and running smoothly here are some important guidelines.
- Only leave gently used, clean, and useable items.
- Nothing dirty, broken, stained, or missing parts.
- Nothing dangerous (children visit the free bench).
- No electronics (these can be e-cycled. Please contact Diana for more info).
- No underwear or shoes of any kind.
- No food.
- No furniture or large items (these can be posted at the kiosk or on the Shaw Island Info Exchange)
- Use hangers to hang up all clothes and linens (don’t leave in bags or bins).
- Bag and label items with multiple parts or pieces so they stay together.
- If any of your items are still there after 2 weeks, please take them back home with you.
Please respect the Free Bench by doing your part to keep it clean and tidy, and following these guidelines. If you have any questions or concerns, contact a free bench volunteer directly.
Diana Yansen Wisen (Free Bench volunteer coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-468-2538
Ellen Jones, Jan Sanburg, Doug Crosby