Not only do islanders recycle by the ton, we also recycle clothes, toys, shoes, baskets, books, games, knitting needles, gloves, wind chimes, dishes, baseballs, yarn, magazines, robes, ashtrays, picture frames, and much more.
But before we get to the nitty-gritty… Volunteers are needed to maintain the Free Bench. Volunteers keep the area organized and clean and properly dispose of items that have been around for two weeks or more. If you’d like to help, or have questions about volunteering, email email@example.com.
Please respect the guidelines when using the Free Bench.
Leave only clean, serviceable items
- Clothing free of rips, stains, holes
- Clean, lightly worn footwear
- Small, unbroken/working household items
- Books, magazines, CDs (appropriate content)
- Table cloths, linens, toys, games
Unacceptable – please do not leave!
- Large appliances
- Large, upholstered, worn-out furniture
- Toxic chemicals of any kind: herbicides, pesticides, cleaning materials, paints, etc.
- Expired food or other expired materials
Please use the white board for large appliances, electronics (including TVs) or furniture; include contact information. Please remove any item not taken in two weeks and properly dispose of it.